It’s that time of year again as we say goodbye to 2018 and welcome 2019. Now is a time to look forward to new beginnings and make resolutions for the New Year. Therefore, I challenge the members of the Broward County Bar Association (“BCBA”) to get more involved, by getting involved with the Bar Association there are many benefits.
As you make your New Year’s resolutions consider some of these top contenders regarding the Bar Association.
- Take some time for yourself. Whether it is an exercise regime, going for a long walk, reading, or doing something that relaxes you. We all lead very busy lives and we need to make sure we take time for ourselves. Also, making time for friends and family is just as important.
- Doing for others without an expectation of something in return. A good suggestion on how to do this is to volunteer for a pro-bono case with Legal Aid or to volunteer for the legal aid hotline, which only takes a few hours out of one (1) day.
- Write an article for the Barrister. The Publicity Committee which is the committee that organizes and writes the articles for the Barrister will be hosting an open house on the 17th day of January, 2019, at 5:30pm. Our normal meeting is typically the third Wednesday of the Month, however, we are hosting an Open House for anyone who is interested in getting involved in the publicity committee and/or writing an article for the Barrister. The benefits of writing an article for the Barrister are that you are able to share your expertise with colleagues and receive recognition.
- Attending an event and Continuing Legal Education. While learning and getting credit, take advantage of the networking opportunities at BCBA events. Make it a goal to meet a new person at every event.
- Mentor a law student or new lawyer. Even if you are not paired with a mentee, practice by example.
The state of the BCBA is going strong. Late November we had over 500 attendees at the Annual Christmas party held at the Museum of Art. It was a new location which was well accepted and many people took advantage of viewing the art exhibit. Last month we launched the first Judicial Jaunt with Judge Haury. Judge Haury provided insight as to his procedures and answered questions for the audience. The Judicial Jaunt is a monthly series with a new Circuit Civil Judge. The next one will take place on January 11th with Judge Bidwill.
The Judicial Procession and State of the Circuit will take place on January 25th in the Jury assembly room. Chief Judge Tuter will present the State of the Circuit. Judges Raag Singhal and Mindy Solomon as well as the Mayor of Broward County, Mark D. Bogen will be the Friend of the Bar Awardees. The newly elected Judges, Shari Beth Africk-Olefson, Susan L. Alspector, Daniel Casey, Corey Amanda Cawthon, Stefanie Camille Moon, Jacqueline Powell, and Mariya Weekes will be introduced and sponsorships are still available.
Congratulations to the Honorable Raag Singhal (BCBA Judicial Liaison) on his nomination to Florida Supreme Court. Over half of the nominees are from the South Florida area. Of the eleven nominees, three will be chosen. While it will be a loss for the 17th Judicial Circuit to lose Judge Singhal, the State of Florida will benefit and we wish him the best of luck on this new endeavor!
On behalf of the entire Board of Directors, BCBA staff we wish you a prosperous and Happy New year. We hope to see you at an event soon!